This ZenPack is developed and supported by Zenoss Inc. Commercial ZenPacks are available to Zenoss commercial customers only. Contact Zenoss to request more information regarding this or any other ZenPacks. Click here to view all available Zenoss Commercial ZenPacks.
Mail Transactions ZenPack
The ZenMailTx ZenPack allows you to monitor round-trip email delivery.
This ZenPack is included with commercial versions of Zenoss and enterprise support for this ZenPack is provided to Zenoss customers with an active subscription.
The ZenPacks.zenoss.ZenMailTx ZenPack allows you to monitor round-trip email delivery.
There are several situations in which this ZenPack creates events. The
component will be
zenmailtx, the eventGroup will be
- The SMTP server name or the POP server name cannot be resolved.
- The SMTP server or the POP server is down or unavailable.
- The timeout (specified on the Data Source tab) is exceeded for the SMTP or POP server.
- Authentication (if specified) with the SMTP or POP server fails.
- A threshold defined for one of the data points in this data source is exceeded. Thresholds are defined in the monitoring template that contains the data source.
Once an email has successfully made a trip back and forth, a clear event is created that clears any failure events.
|Product||Zenoss platform 4.x, Zenoss 2.2 or higher|
Click the device in the device list.
From the left panel, select the Device template under Monitoring Templates.
Select Add Local Template from the Action menu.
Enter an identifier for the template (such as ZenMailTx), and then click Submit to create the template.
Click the newly created ZenMailTx template.
In the Data Sources area, click Add to add a data source.
Enter a name for the data source (MailTx), select MAILTX as the type, and then click Submit.
Change options as needed.
Mail Transactions Basic Data Source Options | | | |--------------|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | Option | Description | | To Address | The recipient e-mail address. This should be the same as the POP Username. | | From Address | The e-mail address that will appear in the From: field in the generated e-mail | | SMTP Host | The e-mail server used by Zenoss platform to send the email | | POP Host | The email server where you will retrieve your test message |
Tip: Any of the
MAILTX fieldscan take TAL expressions, including the password fields.
Click Save to save your changes.
Navigate to Graphs and you should see some place holders for graphs. After approximately fifteen minutes you should see the graphs begin populating with information.
Managing the Collector Daemon
The zenmailtx daemon:
- Sends the test email message via the specified SMTP server
- Retrieves the email message from the specified POP server
- Sends the following information to Zenoss platform:
- Time taken to send
- Time taken to fetch
- Total time
This daemon appears on the Zenoss platform Daemons page and can be started, stopped and restarted from there.