Single Sign-On - SSO SAML Authenticator Integration Service
This ZenPack provides SAML authentication support for Zenoss. See Tested SAML Identity Providers for a list of what this has been tested with.
This integration is a subscription-based Professional Services engagement. Our Integration Services are offered as subscriptions in order to provide initial setup and ongoing compatibility and maintenance. All standard packages are renewable every 12 months from the date of purchase. Contact Zenoss to request more information regarding this or any other ZenPacks.
|Product||Zenoss 6.x or higher|
|Required ZenPacks||ZenPack.zenoss.PS.Util >= 1.1.0|
|Other dependencies||xmlsec1 and xmlsec1-openssl|
SAML IdP Requirements
- Metadata must contain:
- HTTP-Redirect SingleSignonService URL
- X509 key for verifying SAMLResponse messages
- SAMLResponse messages must be signed, but not encrypted
- Accept signed, unsigned and unencrypted AuthnRequest messages
- Zenoss 5 requires them to be installed in the container, something like...
- serviced service shell -s xmlsecinstall -i Zope yum install -y xmlsec1 xmlsec1-openssl
- serviced snapshot commit xmlsecinstall
- serviced service restart Zope
- Restart Zope
Newer versions of Zenoss may have different Zope instances for reporting, API, etc... and these may need to be restarted as well as any UI facing services like Zauth, zenjobs, and zenjsserver.
- Log in to Resource Manager as a user with ZenManager or Manager role
- Navigate to Advanced > SAML Authentication
- Enter a value in EntityID, this value should also be set in your IdP and will be used by Zenoss to identify itself in SAML AuthnRequests. Per SAML documentation (8.3.6)... The syntax of such an identifier is a URI of not more than 1024 characters in length. It is RECOMMENDED that a system entity use a URL containing its own domain name to identify itself.
- Enter Paste SAML IdP entity identifier and metadata
- Optionally specify an alternative XPath expression for determining
- Optionally specify Name ID Policy format. Different IdPs want different values, this allows Zenoss to be configured based on what the IdP wants in the AuthnRequest. This has no effect on Zenoss SAML
- If your IdP requires signed AuthnRequests select "Sign AuthN request". Private key and certificate can be supplied or generated with the "Generate Self Signed Key/Cert
Any users attempting to access Zenoss will be redirected to the
configured 'IdP URL'. To bypass SAML authentication, navigate to Zenoss
with a query string of
If you logged in using the IdP then the bypass won't work. You will have to logout of the IdP and wait for Zenoss session to expire (or use a different browser or remove the Zenoss session cookie) before you can use the bypass successfully.
If you logged in using the SAML bypass, clicking the logout link
will cause you to be redirected to the configured 'IdP URL'. You can
bypass this with the the path
SAML errors will be logged in Zope's /opt/zenoss/log/event.log
Tested SAML Identify Providers
- Azure AD
- Ping Identity
- SSO Circle
The SAMLAuthenticator plugin decodes the response via its authenticateCredentials implementation and attempts to validate its signature using the configured IdP's certificate. If the SAMLResponse is valid, the username is extracted and stored as a session variable.
When a user attempts to access a resource requiring authorization after their Zenoss session has expired, they are again redirected to the configured SAML IdP.
Tracking Initial URL
The SAMLAuthenticator sends the initial URL to the IdP using RelayState. It is expected that the IdP will return RelayState unmodified.
- Expose ability to logout and be directed to the Zenoss login page (NOT be forwarded to the IdP)
- Bug fixes
- When logged in through SAML remove prompt for password on the Settings and User Settings page
- Support for Single Logout (SLO) added
- Improved integration with Zenoss Analytics
- Use RelayState to persist original url request rather than session
- Support for signed AuthNRequest
- Add possibility to configure SLO Response Redirect URL
- move common code to PS.util ZenPack
- Add config entry for user ID field
- Bug fixes
- Fix hardcoded NameIDFormat for service provider metadata